IT security in public utility process network
Renewable energy supply management in transformer stations
Pfalzwerke Netz AG is the leading energy supplier of the Palatinate and the Saar-Palatinate district. The grid area has a size of about 6,000 km² and comprises about 15,000 km circuit length, 62 transformer stations and 3,758 secondary substations.
The prego services GmbH is IT service provider of Pfalzwerke Netz AG for many years.
A whole bundle of requirements was to be fulfilled:
- New hardware components for telecontrol (because of discontinuation)
- Replacement for ISDN dial-up traffic (general modernisation)
- Continuous reduction of interruption minutes in the medium-high voltage system (requirement of Federal Network Agency)
- Management of the renewable energy suppliers with 110 kV supply (because of energy revolution 2011)
Guidelines provide the framework
- ISO/IEC TR 27019 that was not yet published at the time of the decision has been turned into the measure of the solution.
- The latest routers of INSYS icom comply with the concepts of the BDEW white paper and the associated execution notes. Requirement-specific security features have been implemented and put to the acid test.
Pfalzwerke Netz AG wants to use both, own and public telecommunication networks. The following routers are used for control and monitoring purposes:
Private data networks
Public data networks
- INSYS ADSL for broad-band Internet access
(up to 25 Mbit/s)
- MoRoS HSPA, cellular all-round router for
2 SIM cards
All routers share the capability for industrial use, like minimum failure rates of the devices, DIN rail mounting and long-term availability for example.
"Devices of INSYS icom make an important contribution"
"The benefits of our state-of-the-art network infrastructure, which is able to exceed today's security standards, are essential for a smooth operation."
Pfalzwerke Netz AG
"We monitor the whole IT infrastructure permanently. The reliable devices of INSYS icom make an important contribution, in particular when realising the security processes."
Peter Schreieck, Project Manager
prego services GmbH
Benefits and Values
- Permanent monitoring of the IT infrastructure
- Manipulation protection
- Safeguarded connection of switchgear via own copper lines (SDSL) or public networks (ADSL)
- Safeguarded connection of locations in rough terrain or unsupplied areas (cellular radio)
Defense in depth principle by security zones
Pfalzwerke Netz AG:
Integration of renewable energy suppliers
Pfalzwerke Netz AG:
62 transformer stations and 3,758 secondary substations on 6,000 km²
Customer Story from Energie & Technik as PDF